Bank Iowa has been serving customers since as far back as 1901. Today we are one of the largest family owned community banks in Iowa and remain dedicated to our customers, employees and the communities we serve.
It was in 1976 when Donald Duncan, J. Robert Duncan and Harry Barr purchased Citizens State Bank in their hometown of Clarinda, Iowa. The bank was incorporated under the non-financial sounding name of Panhandle Aviation, Inc. Originally formed as a subsidiary corporation of Duncan Aviation to assist the U.S. government in the construction of missile sites in the panhandle of Nebraska in the 1960s, Panhandle Aviation existed as a corporate shell after completion of the missile project until 1976, when it was reactivated to function as the bank holding company. The bank expanded over the years by establishing new offices and purchasing other community banks.
In 2003 the holding company moved its corporate headquarters from Clarinda to West Des Moines, Iowa, and in 2004 changed its name to Bank Iowa Corporation to enhance its unified bank image. On March 31, 2011, Bank Iowa Corporation merged its seven Bank Iowa charters into one operating financial institution.
Since its inception, Bank Iowa has evolved into a growing, dynamic operation with combined assets of over $1.2 billion, more than 250 employees, and 25 locations serving 22 Iowa communities. Each Bank Iowa location offers the services of a large financial institution, but operates as a community bank in which decisions are made locally. Bank Iowa Corporation continues to be owned by the Duncan and Barr families.